Automotive specialty coatings are applied to vehicular components for the purpose of protection against corrosion and better performance under high temperature. The increase in global automobile production and improved corrosion protection offered by specialty coatings are expected to positively impact the market growth. The application of automotive specialty coatings is monitored by environmental agencies such as the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (US-EPA) and the Paints Directive 2004/42/EC of the European Parliament.
The global automotive specialty coatings market was worth $XX billion in 2017 and is forecasted to reach $XX billion by 2025, growing at a CAGR of XX% during the forecast period (2018-2025).
Global Automotive Specialty Coatings Market – Market Dynamics
The consumer expectation regarding high performance, longer service life, and better corrosion resistance from vehicular coatings, is increasing the penetration of specialty coating within automotive industry, thus driving the market growth. The increase in automobile production in developing countries, and rise in application of coatings on these vehicles for improved weather, corrosion, and mechanical resistance is expected to drive the market growth. The application of these specialty coatings also reduces production times and operating costs, thus benefitting the manufacturers. For instance, in July 2016, The Sherwin-Williams Company launched a new fast drying polyester primer, HDR22, for protection against hail damage.
The implementation of stringent environmental regulations related to specific limits on volatile organic compounds (VOCs) emission might adversely impact the production rate of the coatings industry. The rise in prices of raw materials and dip in oil prices might also lead to decline in automobile sales, indirectly affecting the automotive specialty coatings market. The increase in sales of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) would also act as a market barrier, since the electrically-run vehicles do not involve engines, a significant application part of automotive specialty coatings.
The increase in sale of premium vehicles and growing investments in the specialty coatings industry to produce eco-friendly coating solutions would present new opportunities of business expansion for automotive specialty coatings manufacturers.
Global Automotive Specialty Coatings Market – Segment Analysis
The global automotive specialty coatings market is segmented by resin type into acrylic-based, epoxy-based, polyester, polyurethane, and others. The polyurethane-based specialty coatings is the leading segment by market share, owing to its high gloss and corrosion-resistant properties, coupled with reduced weight, low fuel consumption, recyclability properties, and fast drying-time. For instance, in November 2016, The Sherwin-Williams Company launched the Dynamic Clearcoat CC200, a new polyurethane-based specialty coatings for automotive application, which offers superior appearance in half the production time and reduces energy consumption. The polyester coating segment is also expected to witness stable growth owing to its high solid content, ultra high-build characteristics, and show-quality finish.
Based on technology, the market is segmented into powder coatings, solvent-borne, water-borne, and others. The water-borne coatings technology holds a significant market share owing to the eco-friendly properties it offers, such as reduction in volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions. The powder coating segment will witness healthy growth rate during the forecast period owing to the lowering of production time and operating costs.
Global Automotive Specialty Coatings Market – Geographical Analysis
The global automotive specialty coatings market is segmented by geography into North America, South America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW).
Asia-Pacific is the leading geographical segment in the market, owing to high production of passenger automotive vehicles and light commercial vehicles, which in turn will increase the market for automotive specialty coatings. The increase in financial investment towards better infrastructural facilities aimed at growth in automobile manufacturing would further drive the market growth of automotive specialty coatings. China, India, Indonesia, and Malaysia are expected to be the chief contributors to this growth, with major market players targeting the emerging economies of the region to boost sales revenue. For instance, in August 2018, PPG Industries, Inc. announced that it had acquired land in Tianjin, China, with the purpose of building a state-of-the-art paint and coatings research and development (R&D) center. The new facility would serve to strengthen the company’s R&D footprint to better serve consumers in China, across the Asia-Pacific region and globally.
Global Automotive Specialty Coatings Market – Competitive Analysis
The automotive specialty coatings market is highly competitive, with all major market players looking to consolidate their position as global leaders. The companies mainly focus on mergers and acquisitions and new product launches to expand business revenue. For instance, in June 2017, The Sherwin‐Williams Company announced the acquisition of The Valspar Corporation, with the purpose of expanding product portfolio and building a global platform for growth. In March 2017, BASF SE, Covestro AG, and Audi AG jointly developed a bio-based, high-performance automotive coating with Covestro’s renewable hardener Desmodur® eco N 7300 being a central component, aimed at sustainable development of automotive coatings for environmental solutions.
The market players of global automotive specialty coatings market include –
1. Akzo Nobel N.V.
2. Axalta Coating Systems Ltd, LLC
3. BASF SE
4. Covestro AG
5. Kansai Paint Co.,Ltd.
6. Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd.
7. PPG Industries, Inc.
8. Solvay SA
9. The Sherwin-Williams Company
10. The Dow Chemical Company
• The polyurethane-based automotive specialty coatings is the leading segment owing to its faster drying-time, reduced weight, lower fuel consumption, and corrosion resistance properties. The water-borne technology is the most significant segment by application, which offers eco-friendly properties and lower volatile organic compound (VOCs) emission.
• Geographically, Asia-Pacific is the largest segment owing to high production of passenger automotive vehicles and light commercial vehicles, which in turn will increase the market for automotive specialty coatings, and continued investment towards product development. The major market players in the region are also focused on establishing research & development centers to increase productivity volume in a short period of time.
• The market scenario of automotive specialty coatings is very competitive, with companies focused on expansion of global footprint and product launch to maintain their market position. For instance, in July 2018, PPG Industries, Inc. announced a strategic partnership between its subsidiary, Tintas RENNER® business and online news portal O Bairrista, with the purpose of strengthening their market position in Brazil and meet growing demands of the region.
Scope of the Report
The report covers the factors impacting the market, Porter 5 Forces, Competitive Scenario, Price trend analysis, Product Benchmarking, and company profiles. Automotive Specialty Coatings Market is segmented by resin type into acrylic-based, epoxy-based, polyester, polyurethane, and others. By technology, the market is categorized into powder coatings, solvent-borne, water-borne, and others. Geographically, the market is segmented into - North America, South America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Rest of the World.
Why Purchase the Report?
• Visualize the composition of the Automotive Specialty Coatings market across each indication, regarding type and treatment options, highlighting the vital commercial assets and players.
• Identify commercial opportunities in Automotive Specialty Coatings market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
• Excel data sheet with thousands of data points of the Automotive Specialty Coatings market - level 4/5 segmentation.
• PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
• Product mapping in excel for the principal products of all major market players
• Equipment Suppliers/ Buyers
• Service Providers/ Buyers
• Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
• Education & Research Institutes
• Research Professionals
• Emerging Companies
Chapter 1 Methodology and Scope
1.1 Research methodology
1.2 Scope of the Report
Chapter 2 Global Automotive Specialty Coatings Market– Trends
2.1 Key Trends & Developments
Chapter 3 Global Automotive Specialty Coatings Market – Industry Analysis
3.1. Industry Impact Factors (Drivers & Restraints)
3.1.1. Market Drivers
3.1.2. Market Restraints
3.2. Competitive Intensity- Porter 5 Forces
3.2.1. Buyers Power
3.2.2. Suppliers Power
3.2.3. Industry Competition
3.2.4. Threat of new entrants
3.2.5. Threat of Substitutes
Chapter 4 Global Automotive Specialty Coatings Market- Product Analysis
4.1. By Resin Type
4.2. By Technology
4.2.1. Powder Coatings
Chapter 5 Global Automotive Specialty Coatings Market- Geographical Analysis
5.1. North America
5.2. South America
5.2.3. Rest of South America
5.3.2. United Kingdom
5.3.4. Rest of Europe
5.4. Asia Pacific
5.4.5. Rest of Asia-Pacific
Chapter 6 Global Automotive Specialty Coatings Market- Competitive Landscape
6.1. Competitive scenario
6.2. Key Strategies adopted by Manufacturers
6.3. Product Benchmarking
Chapter 7 Global Automotive Specialty Coatings Market- Company Profiles
7.1. Akzo Nobel N.V.
7.2. Axalta Coating Systems Ltd, LLC
7.3. BASF SE
7.4. Covestro AG
7.5. Kansai Paint Co.,Ltd.
7.6. Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd.
7.7. PPG Industries, Inc.
7.8. Solvay SA
7.9. The Sherwin-Williams Company
7.10. The Dow Chemical Company
Chapter 8 Global Automotive Specialty Coatings Market- Appendix